Tuesday, July 14, 2009

SME Solutions Expo 2009


I visited the SME Solutions Expo 2009 last week for a few hours, an hour to be exact and did my usual rounds of visiting booths and networking. I went with the intention to find out about how i can improve my companies performance with IT infrastructure and as usual to network with both potential employers and employees. I do not go for the sake of getting name cards, i try to leverage my time at these expo's because there is alot to learn. From marketing campaigns, alternative advertising, IT solutions, business solutions and many more. I encourage everyone to attend expo's as such because there is a lot you can take home and to build on your knowledge especially in technology, because this is where we learn about tomorrow's technology. Belief me.


I found the HR Asia booth and also bought a few magazines and subscribed to the quarterly issued magazine. While reading it today i found something interesting about a survey and it reads:
" A survey done which overs 94000 employees from 21 countries including Malaysia, showed that Malaysia has a more engaged workforce compared to the rest of the world. Almost one in four Malaysian workers is engaged compared with one in five globally". (HR Asia. 2009, Survey done by Towers Perrin's Global)

Isn't that nice to know?

I was thinking about this interesting fact and i would like to believe its true. I mean i look around me and i think for myself. I realize that when i think about my candidates over the past few months especially those in mid to high level positions, i definitely realized this, because i remember a few of them saying, i have to do it for the company. A GM from one of the aggresive document company and i remember him saying this "Our companies numbers rely heavily on my part for the rest of the year as hardware sales has dropped, we will be pushing!" And another candidate said something which i remember which was "My team depends on me for the succesful roll out of this project because our company needs this".

Having said that, i also realise that more employers have relied heavily on the ideas and dependance of their line managers to produce good results by thinking for themselves inline with the companies strategy. 1)obviously because he or she needs to keep his or her job and 2) recognition in this times of need and 3) because new strategies that are well thought of does produce performance improvement.

Another interesting approach which for a fact drew more employee commitment is when a CEO called 25 staff in batches of 5 to the meeting room, to explain the current condition and had to announce 15% salary cuts. I would say, that was done with care and also done with integrity. You would expect high turnover in that company because of this, guess what, turnover was very managable, because employees felt respected and obviously the speech which was given by the CEO was something like Mel Gibson did in Braveheart, it was done with integrity in turn which will generate employee performance. It was one of my clients which over the year i placed 3 candidates in the respective company. They told me about it but were not emotionally affected by it, it only made them work harder.

HR Asia magazine, really provides good knowledge to both employers and employees. Another magazine i would encourage reading is, Enterprise Innovation although it is still hard to find it around here. Overall the SME Solutions Expo was good. It was for me short and sweet after all it is aimed at entrepreneurs and business owners together with professionals. What i think they can do without is, credit card applications, direct sales and wealth management booths, although these also produces millionaires, i mean wealth management companies. All in all, it was good!

No comments: